Skip to main content

Past Life

Dominance, a word that would describe my life before. I would not consider other people’s ideas, advise, caution, reprimand, rebuke, anything coming from other people. Though I grew in a Christian family, knew Bible stories, learned Sunday school songs, have my devotion, serve in teaching Sunday schoolers,  I never understood how to listen and do the authorities’s way, and only consider my way. I planted a mentality in my mind that, what Michelle wants, she’ll get.  I am inconsiderate. When I was growing up I remember that when I wanted something, I must get it right away or else I would throw up tantrums in front of whoever is there. 

I joined Jzone (youth ministry) back in my third year High School and just joined a discipleship group after a year since I never wanted to be subject to someone who has authority over me. In my last year in High School, since I was enrolled in a Science High School where everybody were vying slots for them to pass and I would pull people down and will not let anyone copy my notes if they didn’t get the lesson or they were absent, I took it to my advantage. I always wanted to be first.  And worse thing, I was one of the students who pursued the whole batch to go up against the Principal because they didn’t allow us to have our batch retreat.  Because I always thought that everything that I want are right, I never considered the power of the one over me and offended those who are over us by making the chairs face upside down and rallied outside the school grounds like a real one. How funny!

I continued going to Jzone just for the sake of attendance. I never called my sister as ate and never used po and opo to my Aunt who is living with us and my Mom. I would always ask them to do something for me. Like a boss. I did not take into account their superiority over me. That’s why they call me ‘nanay’ in our house.

Not anymore
All my life, I was calling myself a Christian but I am not really living it out. I am not living out the holy life that God has entrusted when I accepted Him in my life as my LORD and Savior. I was still the one who’s in the driver’s seat. I have not fully surrendered to the LORD my whole life. I kept some parts of it where sin cultivated. I pick and choose the things I want to be under God’s command and go out of that umbrella when it feels uncomfortable. I did selective obedience. I wasn’t really a Christian.

I continued to disobey my mom, aunt and sister and would even shout at them and would answer in a very bad tone. That’s why my Mom one time asked me, “Kristiyano ka ba talaga?” I didn’t respond. After sometime, I thought of it if I really have Jesus Christ in my life because of my way of living-- repetitive sins. And so, I recommitted myself to the LORD again to live starting that day my life in God’s way; turning away from my cherished sins. It was pretty hard. The first few days, I feel like not obeying God again. I opened up to my dgroup my struggles and they helped me by praying and reminding me of my commitment to the LORD to die to myself moment by moment and live for the LORD because after all it is not I who lives but Christ. Living for the LORD should please Him, and so in Colossians 3:20 it says, “Children, obey your parents in the LORD,  for this pleases the LORD.”

As I enter College, I was tested if I will be able to still study, this time the LORD prompted me to obey my Mom where to study nevertheless she’s the one who will finance me. I submitted my application forms to different companies for scholarship and was praying to be able to enter into my dream school. (I won’t mention it na! Haha!) For the whole summer vacation, I’ve been praying. I forgot to check my heart, I wanted to be in my dream school to gain the prestige in my name so when I knew that though I have the chance to enroll there, I have to obey my Mom and now unlike before, God is involved in our decision- making, placing God as our first resort. I never imagined even in my wildest dreams to be in the school where I graduated but one thing is for sure, God intended it for good and he knows what He’s doing ALWAYS. God isn’t explainable to me.

I n College, there was a certain command the LORD wants me to do. To start a ministry and focus on my studies that time, but I have extra- curricular activities that eats my time, not wise use of time and finances. Whenever my Mom would tell me to go home early after school because of exams the other day, I would spend my time watching TV or watching live basketball games and will go home past midnight because of an overtime game, so I end up failing my subjects. The bad thing is that I am maintaining a grade. I wasn’t able to avail of the incentives in that semester. I was disregarding rules again. After my class, I slipped in the stairs, fell and fractured my foot. Two months, I wasn’t able to stand alone where I needed crutches all the time. It was a hard time for me to go to school every single day and to study well. I learned the importance of being thankful and accountable to the LORD of what you have, abilities, time, finances and God- given body. I also learned to obey the school rule: Keep right. Haha.
“Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage” Surely in Hebrews 13:17 it says that no good does disobedience brings.
Humility to waive your right and letting other ideas go first before mine. Submitting to authorities even if it seems unreasonable because the LORD placed them above us for a reason, not to harm us. As Noah did the ark. Though everything makes no sense, we should still obey, honor and submit to the Lordship of Christ. “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ”, Ephesians 5:21. Submitting to authorities not just to be free from consequences but above all to glorify the LORD.

As I walk with the LORD, he transformed me to obey the rules in school by the teachers, deans, guards, student council and even the stop light. The LORD changed my heart from being disrespectful to be merciful and loving. 

In Romans 13:1-2 it says, “Everyone must submit himself to governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.”  

I am still tempted until now to disobey and go my own willful way but when I remember what the LORD has done for me and paid me with a high price, I will never have second doubt to surrender and give myself away and will be more than willing to be used by my one and only Savior and LORD. I want to replace the time that was lost that me and the LORD should have in the times that I went astray.

Despite my failures, I thank the LORD for loving me still. 

A life full of mess, but the LORD saved it from total mess.

Prayer: Dear Lord, I'm sorry for not listening to you and for not obeying what you tell me to do. Make me a woman/man who will submit to you no matter what it takes. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.


In His Pursuit,
Michelle Aquino 

Do send your prayer requests to: michelleaquino13@gmail.com so I can pray for you also. With love, Michelle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Basics

This is how I look like most of the week. On my screen talking to people—- virtually. This quarantine season has changed my life- a bunch. It brought me back to reality- doing the basics. I practiced my calligraphy drills, I learned how to piano, helped in the chores more than ever, bought meds and groceries for the family, got sick with the government (thankfully, didn’t get subpoenaed), helped our neighbors and driver, guards and juliets at work, shared the gospel to a bike  boy whom I rode for consecutively, read, did some arts, cleaned the house for n number of times, worked out AND CLUNG ON TO JESUS. This season taught me that I have no good thing apatrt from Christ. And that good thing is only Christ. And I would not know that if I don’t surrender to His Lordship and His will. I would have bad dreams night after night, but I have to fight it off in the morning and walk with Jesus again. It is a conscious effort to guard what I think of and fix my gaze on the author and per

Short

In a short span of time that I got to know Tita has really impacted my life. I shall try to share specific things here so that I get to record how she has encouraged me. The only picture we got together.  I shall start with why the title is short. We were going to minister to a place where our mission trip team went a month prior my mom and I’s visit. We were walking and she made ayos my shorts after it was creased.  That was I think the first time I knew she cared.   I am usually jittery when meeting the mom of the man that I like. But with her, she made me feel comfortable. Pero at first, natakot din ako kasi I know na di ako umaarte like kung sino talaga ako, yun ang ipapakita ko. I don’t set my best foot forward because I know eventually, she would know me and she would know who I really am. I am very takot not to be accepted. Lalo na that is my fear— to not be liked by my future mother-in-law if the Lord wills. But on our vacation time, we got the news that she got sick. This has

Freedom

Grace. I don’t deserve it. This covid pandemic has somewhat hardened my heart. It has shown my worst. And I believe that this is what really is inside me which haven’t surfaced until now. My flaws were magnified and it has sounded an alarm that I need to work on myself. That because of the too many work that needs attention, I had set myself aside. Whil reading a book on emotionally healthy spirituality, it has shown me that I am no superwoman. That I cannot change the world. That I can only do so much. And God is after my being with Him more than doing things for Him. So that is what I am planning to do as this year closes. But before that, I would love to go back to what happened last July why I started this blog with one word. Birthdays have never been a big deal for me. I enjoy having my birthday with no one knowing about it except my family. Maybe because I didn’t want to expect. I grew up loving my birthdays because of my family. But, there came a point in our life where we strug