Skip to main content

Christ- confidence

What hinders us from listening to the good music? Pag naka-mute yung speakers. This has happened to me more than a handful of times. But seriously speaking, what hinders us from experiencing God’s work and power in our lives?

Sometimes there are hindrances that are obviously seen and there are hindrances which aren’t obviously seen like pride. As Pastor Peter Tan-Chi puts it, pride is like a body odor, everybody knows about it except the one who has it.

Laude experience. Pride put me in the lowest part of my life. I placed my confidence on myself. I knew that I can make it but God broke me. I was depending on myself. I told myself, I can get the highest Laude because it’s just NU I mean I came from a competitive High School and this will be very easy for me. Who would’ve thought that I would fail my PE and it won’t allow me to graduate with Laude.

He doesn’t want us to drown ourselves in sin that is why I learned my lesson, the hard way. But in that setback I still experienced grace. The school recognized us with an academic distinction and when I got the medal, my Mom smiled and approved. And I experienced most importantly God’s incomparable comfort that no one can ever give.

Sometimes, we feel like we cannot do anything because it’s not our strength. But many times we feel very confident that we can do something because we know that it is our strength. But, if you don’t mind, the question is: To whom or to what are we putting our confidence to? Think about it as I continue.

There are times when we lose sight of Who we are supposed to get our confidence from. For sure you know the answer. It is not from ourselves, not in our abilities nor on other people. It should rest upon the LORD, the One who gave us the gift and capabilities to do what we can do. CHRIST-confidence. In Psalm 125:1 it indicates that we are secured in God that He loves us and since this is the case, we can fully trust Him and set our confidence in Him for the reason that He will never forsake us because of His vast love for us. Psalm 124:8 says, our help is from the LORD. So, having Christ-confidence means getting rid of our selfish desires, agenda and motives; do our best in our craft and lift everything to God having our full confidence in His power and might.

What does the Bible say about this? Psalm 108:12 and Psalm 60:, all human help is useless but with God’s help, we can do mighty things.

Why should we be Christ-confident? Because of who He is. He is reliable. He is loving and will never forsake us. Psalm 146:6 He keeps His promises, He is reliable; Psalm 94:22 He is our fortress; Psalm 89:11 God owns and created everything; He is the God of the already. It was shown in Joshua 3 and 4 when the Israelites crossed the Jordan River, God was with them in front, middle and at the end.

Because this is what we are commanded to do. Psalm 37:34a

Because He delights in us putting our confidence in Him. Psalm 89:17

Was there ever a point in your life when you told someone that you will do something for him/her and parang wala siyang tiwala sayo na kaya mong gawin yun pero sa totoo naman, it is in your capability. Kainis yung feeling if you’re the one who promised, right? Ano kaya nafefeel ni God kung ganun din tayo sa kanya. May it be being confident because of our self or no confidence at all. God assures us that He can do it certainly (anyway He made the Heaven and Earth out of nothing). There was this story from Edmund Chan’s Growing Deep in Faith book; there was a scientist who told Angel Gabriel that he is equal with God because he can create man out of dust. But Angel Gabriel replied, hmmmm uh uh please do make dust first.

All we need to do is to put our confidence and full trust in Him. But don't get me wrong this isn't being lazy or being mediocre. Do your part and leave the results to the LORD. Have Christ-confidence, nothing more, nothing less because He delights in us when we are CHRIST-confident.

Consequences of not having Christ-confidence: Sarah’s story who doubted God’s ability to give her a child. Genesis 18:14. Additional problems, pain occur and most importantly we fail to make God smile. And on our part, we miss the better plan God has. We miss the joy and peace that only He can give when we don’t put our confidence in Him. When we don’t trust God we are underestimating Him and overestimating ourselves.

Camp experience. I was assigned as the head of the registration team of a camp. I told myself ah kaya yan. I neglected God and what happened was a disaster. The database was messed up and it caused so much to the dgroup placemet team. Sobrang nakakahiya ‘tong experience na ‘to na ayoko na maalala ever pero God’s grace was still in the picture when He still allowed me to serve in the next camp. But then again, I learned my lesson the hard way, again. Pwedeng hindi niyo na pagdaanan yung consequences na naranasan ko. You can learn from my experience and other’s experiences for you not to encounter the consequences of not depending on God.

When should we have Christ-confidence? Whatever the situation is. Moment by moment. Now.

Where? Anywhere. Because God has given us the privilege to come to Him boldly anywhere, anytime. Because we are His’. And He delights in us when we come to Him.

How? Come to Him humbly. Isaiah 66:2 the LORD says: “I will bless those who have humble and contrite hearts,”

I want to end with the song, I just want You by the Planetshakers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtLrxIRogLM It is Christ’s love that compels us to serve Him, to give Him our all. I want you to meditate on this song, how much He loves us and how much more He wants to help us. Not depending on our own strength but on His eternal power and strength. It is His love and grace that forgives (na hindi niya tayo pinupunish on what we should deserve), keeps us from falling (na He provides a way out in any temptation), His grace that keeps us from failing, catches us from our shortcomings (na He fills the void that we cannot do) and it is what reconciled us to Him. This is the greatest love that no one can ever compare. We do everything because of Him and we do it for Him and Him alone.

Prayer: May everything in us glorify You. LORD, we cannot do anything apart from you. I am inadequate but You are very much capable. Make me the person who will depend on you all the time. Remove in me everything that do not glorify You. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

In His Pursuit,
Michelle Aquino

Please pray for me also in this area of my life. Do send your prayer requests to: michelleaquino13@gmail.com so I can pray for you also. With love, Michelle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Basics

This is how I look like most of the week. On my screen talking to people—- virtually. This quarantine season has changed my life- a bunch. It brought me back to reality- doing the basics. I practiced my calligraphy drills, I learned how to piano, helped in the chores more than ever, bought meds and groceries for the family, got sick with the government (thankfully, didn’t get subpoenaed), helped our neighbors and driver, guards and juliets at work, shared the gospel to a bike  boy whom I rode for consecutively, read, did some arts, cleaned the house for n number of times, worked out AND CLUNG ON TO JESUS. This season taught me that I have no good thing apatrt from Christ. And that good thing is only Christ. And I would not know that if I don’t surrender to His Lordship and His will. I would have bad dreams night after night, but I have to fight it off in the morning and walk with Jesus again. It is a conscious effort to guard what I think of and fix my gaze on the author and per

Short

In a short span of time that I got to know Tita has really impacted my life. I shall try to share specific things here so that I get to record how she has encouraged me. The only picture we got together.  I shall start with why the title is short. We were going to minister to a place where our mission trip team went a month prior my mom and I’s visit. We were walking and she made ayos my shorts after it was creased.  That was I think the first time I knew she cared.   I am usually jittery when meeting the mom of the man that I like. But with her, she made me feel comfortable. Pero at first, natakot din ako kasi I know na di ako umaarte like kung sino talaga ako, yun ang ipapakita ko. I don’t set my best foot forward because I know eventually, she would know me and she would know who I really am. I am very takot not to be accepted. Lalo na that is my fear— to not be liked by my future mother-in-law if the Lord wills. But on our vacation time, we got the news that she got sick. This has

Freedom

Grace. I don’t deserve it. This covid pandemic has somewhat hardened my heart. It has shown my worst. And I believe that this is what really is inside me which haven’t surfaced until now. My flaws were magnified and it has sounded an alarm that I need to work on myself. That because of the too many work that needs attention, I had set myself aside. Whil reading a book on emotionally healthy spirituality, it has shown me that I am no superwoman. That I cannot change the world. That I can only do so much. And God is after my being with Him more than doing things for Him. So that is what I am planning to do as this year closes. But before that, I would love to go back to what happened last July why I started this blog with one word. Birthdays have never been a big deal for me. I enjoy having my birthday with no one knowing about it except my family. Maybe because I didn’t want to expect. I grew up loving my birthdays because of my family. But, there came a point in our life where we strug